The world of fishing is a complex world with all kinds of modalities and techniques, which if we do not know, we may get lost in it or not know how to start. That is why in this article you will find all the necessary information to introduce you to the world of surfcasting, a modality known for the peace and tranquility it generates in the fisherman. You will find from how to perform the modality, going through the necessary materials, the most caught species and ending with a series of tips and tricks for beginners.
How to practice this modality
Surfcasting has become one of the most widespread fishing modalities worldwide and it is carried out on the shores of some coasts. That is why surfcasting is considered a beach modality.
This modality usually likes so much and becomes one of the favorites of the fishermen since it overflows with tranquility and uneasiness. And the fact is that quietness and relaxation is something that may be scarce when it comes to practicing these modalities.
Although it is a modality that is carried out on the shore, it is also usually practiced on docks or beaches with the sea in total calm. Something very important in this modality is that the bottom of the beach has to be sandy.
It should be noted that within this modality there are different types of techniques:
- Traditional, it is the simplest, most comfortable and extended simply by throwing the line of the rod, the lead and the hook over his head. You have to extend the rod strongly and then stop it abruptly so that the hook reaches as far as possible.
- Otg, in this one the lead rests on the back of the fisherman being this one facing the sea, it is a question of doing a throw with a lot of force and once in the air to do a combined turn, while we take the rod upwards simultaneously. Due to the high pressure to which the rod is submitted it is necessary that it is made of a material strong enough to support it.
- Pendulum, of all the techniques this is the one that requires more qualification, which does not mean that it is the most complicated. In this one the fisherman is with his back to the sea and begins to oscillate the lead on the rod. Once this has taken inertia must make a coordinated turn of body and rod to optimize the launch and reach the sea properly.
Best times of the year
Generally the best seasons of the year to practice them are spring and autumn, but it can be practiced throughout the year since there are always species that in the previous or later months were not active.
There are numerous species that can be captured with this modality and each one of them likes the water with different climatic conditions, some like the water with low temperatures to others at high temperature, some like the sea with waves and others the calm water, etc.
For this reason we cannot specify an exact time of year to be able to carry out this modality.
Most common species of surfcasting
One of the most important questions when it comes to practicing a type of fishing is the species that can be caught practicing it.
Therefore, here you have a list of some of them:
- CORVINATA Apr-Nov
- SARGO Oct-Mar
- GOLDEN Mar-Nov
- ANJOVA May-Nov
- LANGUAGE May-Dec
- ROBALO Oct-Mar
- HERRERA Mar-Ago
- WATER Oct-Apr
Something to keep in mind about all these species is that they all stir in the sand bottom to find food, and it is in this moment where all the gear and baits come into play in order to have a good catch.
What is the best material for surfcasting
Another important aspects in any fishing modality are the materials for its realization, so we leave you with a list of material specifications according to this modality:
Normally, in surfcasting, rods with a length of 4 to 5 m are used to keep the line above the waves. If you start with this technique, we recommend rods that do not exceed 4.5 m, as longer rods require more technical handling.
The rods must be powerful enough to propel heavy mounts or bulky baits.
One of the most recommended rods for this modality is the SURFCASTING SYMBIOS-900 420 HYBRID, which works very well.
The surfcasting reel has to be solid so as not to fail or get lost in the middle of a dive.
Another peculiarity of the surfcasting reel is the “long cast” or large capacity (300 – 400 m) reel for long distance casting. The line reserve can be invaluable when a large prey gives a strong pull.
One of the most recommended reels is the ADONIS 7000.
- ROD HOLDER
It is an indispensable accessory for surfcasting fishing trips. The support keeps the rod straight in front of the sea so that the line is tightened above the waves.
The rod can be easily nailed and used to anchor the rod so that it remains vertical. It is the ideal support to quickly change the fishing spot.
The tripod is suitable for pebble beaches or the Mediterranean coast, as there is no need to move the material in fishing action due to the absence of tides.
The lead propels the assembly and, once in the water, keeps it on the bottom. There are multiple types of lead depending on the power of the current and the wind:
All weights are available in different weights. A 110g lead is multipurpose for beginners in surfcasting.
As for surfcasting line I’m recently riding the Symbios cherry which thanks to its red color helps me to make the line invisible under the water and to make it more visible outside the water so it can be seen better.
Along our coasts, we can find a lot of very effective baits. Worms are versatile and effective baits for sea predators and other flatfish, although they are not selective if you want to look for large catches. Small fish, such as marlin or smelt, are perfect baits to catch large sea predators, such as sea bass.
Cephalopods (octopus, squid, cuttlefish…) are irresistible to large predators of the sea. Many fishermen consider them to be the best baits for surfcasting.
Now you have all the keys to choose your surfcasting equipment properly.
The only thing left to do is to go into practice in order to progress and discover all the satisfactions that this type of fishing can provide.
Tips and tricks for beginners
We have already explained the different techniques, materials, species, etc. but in spite of this it is necessary to take into account a series of recommendations so that everything goes as you had planned, so here are some of the tips to keep in mind:
- Practice throwing without lead. If you are a beginner in this modality it is advisable to practice throwing without the lead using instead of this other object like a small ball with a weight similar to the lead, a tennis ball for example, until you manage to dominate the style.
- Protect the finger holding the line. For the launch to be effective it is necessary to hold the line. When throwing, the power and speed of the shot may cause cuts when holding the line. It is therefore advisable to protect your hand to avoid these injuries.
- Choose an ideal area. It is necessary and prudent to place yourself in areas free of bathers and walkers. The water will be calmer and it will be easier for fish to come, and if the lead impacts on a person it can cause quite serious damage.
- Try different distances and depths. Since it is impossible to know at what depth the shoals are, it is advisable to test the bottoms by trying different distances and depths. As an extra tip, if the waters are shallow it is convenient to move the position forward.
- Patience. This is a quality that must be available to perform this modality, since everything comes at the right time. There are fishermen who, due to lack of patience, remove the bait early, as you may notice how the fish bite the bait but do not get hooked, so at that moment you should NOT remove the rod yet. The idea is to put the rod away when it starts to bend, an unmistakable sign that a fish has bitten.
- Watch, learn and NEVER give up! It is clear that in fishing you should never throw in the towel, but when we start in a new modality we always have doubts about whether we are doing things right. Something that usually helps a lot is to surround yourself with people that practice this modality to be able to learn from them or to sign up to a club specialized in this modality
This has been an introductory guide to the mode of surfcasting this has been possible thank’s to the WeFish user Melo, if you liked be aware that we will be adding more guides like this but other modes of fishing.